Jun 24, 2012

A great day in PBG history

So last night three of the most prolific (and reclusive) print artists in The Business had one hellava blowout opening at Phone Booth Gallery. I had the good fortune to hang out with all of them over the course of the last few days, and help out directing traffic for the MASSIVE print-signing effort that went on before the show.

Got to see all those beautiful screen prints up close, and talk with the people who love these guys' work. Pretty often it was the artists' first time seeing the prints in person too! Yes, that's Rich Kelly's mom. I had a blast. Tons of people all there to celebrate a group of really talented artists, and geek out together. I talked to at least 30 complete strangers over the course of the night, all happy to be where we were, all really great to chat with about prints, movies, art in general...



Some trivia fodder for you:

Ken Taylor (and possibly all Aussies) produces a unique pheromone that attracts cats. Also like all Aussies, drinks like a fish and is one of the most chilled-out guys I've met in a long time. Signed my Moby Dick print right before taking off for six flags today.

Martin Ansen and I completely disagree about whether Wipeout is better than Episode I Racer (although I only have the N64 version and he told me I gotta get Wipeout 1 for the PlayStation to do it justice). Last night was his first time signing a print in about 5 years, and he signed over 65 in an hour!

Rich Kelly's mom is one of the nicest people I talked to all night, even after I almost shooed her out of the gallery at the start of the show. Also Rich draws pretty good I guess. We geeked out for a minute about how much fun it is to draw hands.

All three of em are really nice, down-to-earth guys, so if you see them at a show sometime, stop by and say hi. Just don't ask them to sign postcards. And don't ask Ken if they have roads in Australia.

No comments: